At the moment, there is no integrated management plan for Mourne and Slieve Croob AONB. However, Mourne Heritage Trust has developed a number of strategies that aim to protect the unique characteristics of the area, while encouraging sustainable development.
The Mourne Heritage Trust Operational Plan sets out the programme of activities which the Trust aims to undertake over a three year period. The Trust is managed by a Board of 21 voluntary Trustees, representing a wide range of interests from the Mourne and Slieve Croob area and beyond. In addition, the Trust has a number of sub-committees and working groups which engage a board range of expertise in the management of the AONB.
The action programme aims to build on the Trust's current key activities and where appropriate introduce new activities to address emerging priorities across each of the above key performance areas.
1. Protection and enhancement of the natural environment.
2. Visitor Management and Visitor Services.
3. Built and Cultural Heritage.
4. Sustainable Tourism.
5. Creating awareness and promoting understanding.
6. Rural and Community Regeneration.
7. Strategic management and co-ordination.